You can download the audio here
A group of business people has (1) ____________ gym for robots. The group is headed by Elon Musk, who (2) _______________ the electric car company Tesla Motors and the space tourism company, SpaceX. Mr. Musk also founded the (3) _________ website PayPal. His latest project is called OpenAI Gym. It is a platform for researchers and code writers (4) ______________ work. It is an open platform, which means people are free to test their ideas for artificial intelligence (A.I.) on it. In particular, researchers (5) ___________ their algorithms for A.I. Algorithms are special sets of rules in a computer program that can solve problems and (6) ____________ large amounts of information.
Mr Musk wrote about the OpenAI Gym project and (7) _______ to put it online for free. He said: "Our goal is to advance digital intelligence in the way that is (8) _________ benefit humanity as a whole, [without the] need to generate financial return." The OpenAI Gym (9) _______________ of giving rewards for successful learning – similar to giving a dog a treat when it learns something new. This is called reinforcement learning. If (10) _____________ well in the gym, it gets a reward. If the algorithm fails, it gets no reward and it has to try something different. The (11) _________ is to develop an algorithm that can multi-task - do many things at the same time – rather than (12) _____________ just one thing.
1. Comprehension questions
1. What kind of group has started the OpenAI Gym?
2. What is the name of the car company owned by Mr Musk?
3. Who can test their latest work in the gym (besides researchers)?
4. What kind of platform is the gym on?
5. What can algorithms quickly deal with?
6. What does Mr Musk want to advance?
7. Who does Mr Musk want the gym to benefit?
8. What does Mr Musk not need from his gym?
9. What will an algorithm get if it does well in the gym?
10. What kind of algorithms does Mr Musk want from the gym?
2. Read the headline. Guess if a-h below are true (T) or false (F).
a. The boss of the new gym also runs a space tourism company. T / F
b. The new gym is free for anyone to use. T / F
c. The system the gym uses is called a closed platform. T / F
d. Algorithms are very slow at solving problems. T / F
e. The boss wants the gym to develop humanity as a whole. T / F
f. The idea behind the gym is similar to giving a dog rewards for learning. T / F
g. An algorithm will get a reward if it fails a task. T / F
h. The boss wants algorithms to do just one thing well. T / F
1. Synonym match:
1. kind a. concepts
2. boss b. forward
3. latest c. invent
4. ideas d. chief
5. deal with e. aim
6. goal f. people
7. advance g. type
8. humanity h. manage
9. develop i. only
10. just j. most recent
1. Robots discussion
STUDENT A’s QUESTIONS (Do not show these to student B)
Students A strongly believe artificial intelligence will be dangerous
1. What do you think about robots?
2. How important are gyms to you?
3. What would a robot do in a gym?
4. What do you think of artificial intelligence?
5. What do you know about algorithms?
6. How good are you with computers and coding?
STUDENT B’s QUESTIONS (Do not show these to student A)
Students B strongly believe artificial intelligence will be helpful.
1) Did you like reading this article? Why/not?
2) Why isn't Elon Musk charging for the OpenAI Gym?
3) How can digital intelligence help us?
4) How will computers 'benefit humanity as a whole'?
5) What do you think of 'reinforcement learning'?
6) When do you multi-task?