Present continuous - Present simple
1. Complete the sentences with one of the following verbs in the correct form:
come get happen look make start stay try work
1. 'You're working hard today.' 'Yes, I have a lot to do.'
2. I ______________ for Christine. Do you know where she is?
3. It ______________ dark. Shall I turn on the light?
4. They haven't got anywhere to I've at the moment. They ______________ with friends until they find somewhere.
5. 'Are you ready, Ann?' 'Yes, I ______________.'
6. Have you got an umbrella? It ______________ to rain.
7. You ______________ a lot of noise. Could you be quieter? I ______________ to concentrate.
8. Why are all these people here? What ______________?
2. Read this conversation between Brian and Sarah. Put the verbs into the correct form.
SARAH: Brian! How nice to see you! What (1) ______________ (you/do) these days?
BRIAN: I (2) ______________ (train) to be a supermarket manager.
SARAH: Really? What's it like? (3) ______________ (you/enjoy) it?
BRIAN: It's all right. What about you?
SARAH: Well, actually I (4) ______________ (not/work) at the moment.
I (5) ______________ (try) to find a job but it's not easy. But I'm very busy. I (6) ______________ (decorate) my flat.
BRIAN: (7) ______________ (you/do) it alone?
SARAH: No, some friends of mine (8) ______________ (help) me.
3. Put the verb into the correct form.
1. Jane doesn't drink (not/drink) tea very often.
2. What time ______________ (the banks/close) in Britain?
3. 'Where ______________ (Martin/come) from?' 'He's Scottish.'
4. 'What ______________ (you/do)?' 'I'm an electrical engineer.'
5. It ______________ (take) me an hour to get to work. How long ______________ (it/take) you?
6. I ______________ (play) the piano but I ______________ (not/play) very well.
7. I don't understand this sentence. What ______________ (this word/mean)?
4. Are the underlined verbs right or wrong? Correct the ones that are wrong.
1. I'm seeing the manager tomorrow morning.
2. I'm feeling hungry. Is there anything to eat? ______________
3. Are you believing in God? ______________ no I’m an atheist
4. This sauce is great. It's tasting really good. ______________ -
5. I'm thinking this is your key. Am I right? ______________
5. Use one of the following verbs to complete these sentences. Sometimes you need the negative:
believe eat flow go grow make rise tell translate
1. The earth ____________ round the sun.
2. Rice ____________ in Britain.
3. The sun ______________ in the east.
4. Bees ______________ honey. -
5. Vegetarians ______________ meat. –
6. An atheist ______________ in God.
7. An interpreter ______________ from one language into another.
8. A liar is someone who ______________ the truth.
9. The River Amazon ______________ into the Atlantic Ocean.
6. Are the underlined verbs right or wrong? Correct the verbs that are wrong.
1. Water boils at 100 degrees celsius.
2. The water boils. Can you turn it off?
3. Look! That man tries to open the door of your car. ______________
4. Can you hear those people? What do they talk about? ______________
5. The moon goes round the earth. ______________
6. I must go now. It gets late. ______________
7. I usually go to work by car. ______________
8. 'Hurry up! It's time to leave.' 'OK, I come.' ______________
9. I hear you've got a new job. How do you get on? ______________
1. Read what Sharon says about a typical working day:
I usually get up at 7 o'clock and have a big breakfast. I walk to work, which takes me about half an hour. I start work at 8.45. I never have lunch. I finish work at 5 o'clock. I'm always tired when I get home. I usually cook a meal in the evening. I don't usually go out. I go to bed at about 11 o'clock. I always sleep well.
Yesterday was a typical working day for Sharon. Write she did or didn't do yesterday.
2. She ______________ a big breakfast.
3. She ______________ to work
4. It ______________ to get to work.
5. ______________ at 8.45.
6. ______________ lunch.
7. ______________ at 5 o'clock.
8. ______________ tired when ______________ home.
9. ______________ a meal yesterday evening.
10. ______________ out yesterday evening.
11. ______________ at 11 o'clock.
12. ______________ well last night.
2. Put one of these verbs in each sentence:
buy catch cost drink fall hurt sell spend teach throw win write
1. Mozart wrote more than 600 pieces of music.
2. 'How did you learn to drive?' 'My father ______________ me.'
3. We couldn't afford to keep our car, so we ______________ it.
4. I was very thirsty. I ______________ the water very quickly.
5. Paul and I played tennis yesterday. He's much better than me, so he ______________ easily.
6. Don ______________ down the stairs this morning and ______________ his lag.
7. Jim ______________ the ball to Sue, who ______________ it.
8. Ann ______________ a lot of money yesterday. She ______________ a dress which ______________ 100 euro.
3. A friend has just come back from holiday. You ask him about it. Write your questions.
1. (where/go?) Where did you go?
2. (go alone?) ______________
3. (food/good?) ______________
4. (how long/stay there?) ______________
5. (stay/at a hotel?) ______________
6. (how/travel?) ______________
7. (the weather/fine?) ______________
8. (what/do in the evenings?) ______________
9. (meet anybody interesting?) ______________
Past continuous (I was doing)
1 What were you doing at the following times? Write one sentence as in the examples.
1. (at 8 o'clock yesterday evening) I was having dinner with some friends.
2. (at 5 o'clock last Saturday)
3. (at 10.15 yesterday morning)
4. (at 4.30 this morning)
5. (at 7.45 yesterday evening)
6. (half an hour ago)
4 Put the verbs into the correct form, past continuous or past simple.
1. Jane was waiting (wait) for me when I arrived (arrive).
2. 'What ______________ (you/do) this time yesterday?' 'I was asleep.'
3. '______________ (you/go) out last night?' 'No, I was too tired.'
4. 'Was Carol at the party last night?' 'Yes, she ______________ (wear) a really nice dress.'
5. How fast ______________ (you/drive) when the accident ______________ (happen)?
6. John ______________ (take) a photograph of me while I ______________ (not/look).
7. We were in a very difficult position. We ______________ (not/know) what to do.
8. I haven't seen Alan for ages. When I last ______________ (see) him, he ______________ (try) to find a Job in London.
9. I ______________ (walk) along the street when suddenly I ______________ (hear) footsteps behind me. Somebody ______________ (follow) me. I was frightened and I ______________ (start) to run.10. When I was young, I ______________ (want) to be a bus driver.