You can get the audio here
1. Preparation: matching
Do this exercise before you listen. Match the verb with the correct noun and write a – g
1…….. take a. a designer
2…….. listen to b. your scooter
3…….. watch c. a business
4……..stroke (= move your hand
gently over something) d. films
5…….. park e. photos
6……..make it as (= be
successful as) f. the cat
7…….. set up (= start) g. music
1. Now, listen
Match the speakers with their favourite things. Write a – e next to the numbers 1 – 5.
1…….. Speaker A a. a tablet
2…….. Speaker B b. a sewing machine
3…….. Speaker C c. a scooter
4…….. Speaker D d. a set of knives
5…….. Speaker E e. a cat
1. Check your understanding: gap fill
1. My favourite thing has to be my new tablet. It’s really light and quite _____________, so I take it with me everywhere. I’m always writing to friends and it’s big enough to do college work on it too. It takes really good _____________, and I play games and listen to _____________ on it as well, of course. I often download _____________ onto it, and watch them in _____________. My mum says I’m _____________, because I’m always on it. I even read things on it at breakfast time. I’m not allowed to at ____________ time, though. I have to be _____________ and talk to people then. “Welcome back to real life,” my mum says.
2. My favourite thing? Does my _____________ count as a thing? She’s not really a thing, but anyway. She’s a really _____________ little cat. I’ve had her since she was _____________ months old. You know how some cats are really __________ and hardly talk to you? I know cats don’t really talk, but you know what I mean. Well, she’s not like that at all. She’s really _____________ and comes up to me as soon as I get home, purring away like mad. She makes a lot of _____________ for a tiny thing. She loves being stroked and comes and curls up next to me when I’m on the _____________. She’s great _____________.
3. My new scooter! It’s quite small, but _____________, and just what I needed for getting around the _____________. I used to have quite a long walk to the _________, then a longish walk at the other end to get to _____________. But now I can just whiz there on my _____________. And there’s no problem parking, there’s always _______ for it. You have to be _____________ with the cars and _____________ – they don’t always see you – and when it rains the surface of the road is _____________, it gets really slippery. But in general it’s perfect for me, and I can fit a _____________ on the back too – I’ve got an extra _____________ for a friend. It’s great. Riding along makes me feel so free.
4. This might sound a bit old-fashioned, but my sewing _____________ is my favourite thing. I’m studying _____________ and love making things, as well as designing them. I also love _____________ myself and often buy second-hand clothes – everyone loves the “vintage” _____________ at the moment – and then I adapt them to my _________. It’s much easier using a machine to do that than doing it by________. I do alterations for my mum and my sister too. If I don’t make it as a _____________, I suppose I can always set up my own alterations and customising _____________. Customising clothes, by taking things off and adding things on, is actually very _____________, so I wouldn’t mind that.
5. My set of Japanese knives. That sounds a bit sinister, doesn’t it, but I’m not a ______ or anything. They’re chef’s knives and the best ones come from _____________. Cooking is my new hobby. I got into it when I started watching Masterchef on TV. Then I went to an evening __________ for beginners, and I haven’t looked back since. I try and have a _____________ for between four and eight _____________ every two or three _____________. That gives me something to work towards and I always do new _____________ so they can try them out and give me feedback. It’s quite an _____________ hobby if you use good __________, but now my friends help towards the ___________. They still get a good _____________ for a very low price.