To ..., in order to… for ... and so that ...
· We use to ... to say why somebody does something (= the purpose of an action):
* 'Why did you go out?' 'To post a letter.'
* A friend of mine phoned to invite me to a party.
· For ... and to ...
* I'm going to Spain for a holiday.
but I'm going to Spain to learn Spanish. (not 'for learn Spanish', not 'for learning Spanish')
We use for + noun (for a holiday) but to + verb (to learn). Some more examples:
· So that
i) when the purpose is negative (so that ... won't/wouldn't):
* I hurried so that I wouldn't be late. (= because I didn't want to be late)
ii) with can and could (so that ... can/could)
* She's learning English so that she can study in Canada.
* We moved to London so that we could visit our friends more often.
1. Use a sentence from Box A and a sentence from Box B to make a new sentence.
1. I shouted to warn people of the danger
2. I had to go to the bank …
2 Complete these sentences using a suitable verb.
1. The President has a team of bodyguards _to protect_ him.
2. I didn't have enough time ____________ the newspaper today.
3. I came home by taxi. I didn't have the energy ---
4. 'Would you like something ____________' 'Yes, please. A cup of coffee.'
5. We need a bag ____________ these things in.
6. There will be a meeting next week ____________ the problem.
7. I wish we had enough money ____________ a new car.
8. I saw Helen at the party but we didn't have a chance ____________ to each other.
9. I need some new clothes. I haven't got anything nice ____________
10. They've just passed their exams. They're having a party ____________
3 Put in to or for.
1. I'm going to Spain _for_ a holiday.
2. You need a lot of experience ____________ this job.
3. You need a lot of experience ____________ do this job.
4. We'll need more time ____________ make a decision.
5. I went to the dentist ____________ a check-up.
6. I had to put on my glasses ____________ read the letter.
7. Do you wear glasses ____________ reading?
8. I wish we had a garden ____________ the children ____________ play in.
4 Write sentences with so that.
1. I hurried. I didn't want to be late.
2. We wore warm clothes. We didn't want to get cold.
3. The man spoke very slowly. He wanted me to understand what he said.
4. I whispered. I didn't want anybody else to here our conversation.
____________ nobody ____________
5. Please arrive early. We want to be able to start the meeting on time.
6. She locked the door. She didn't want to be disturbed.